Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Baptism by fire

However sympathetic / scared / worried / concerned one might be when one hears or reads about any disaster, the reaction when any known person / location is involved, undergoes a complete transformation. I still get goose bumps whenever I think of the Mumbai terror attacks last year and this I attribute solely to me staying in Mumbai for 3 years. A similar experience unfolded today.

It all started with a phone call from my home about a fire in a Park Street building close to Flury’s (the famous confectionary) and Music World (the music store run by the RPG group). They were concerned about TCC, a training centre towards MBA entrance exams. Before I move further, something more about TCC is warranted.

This place is run by Mr. Sandip Sen and his wife Dr. Soma Sen, 2 of the best people I have had the privilege to know. I had taken admission in another famous coaching centre during my 3rd year, but it turned out to be total waste. Then some known acquaintance suggested TCC and my friend and I, though skeptical, went to have a chat with Sir. I was mentally counting the additional money outgo and how much I have to repay my Dad! The first impression was good enough for me to enroll again for the coaching, though some bit of skepticism still remained. Whatever doubt remained, was completely removed in the classes and interaction that ensued. At the end of the classes, I was no more scared of the topics and the basics in each subject were so thoroughly covered that I could only wish I had similar teachers during my school days. But apart from the teaching, what these 2 people taught was a lesson for lifetime. Notions about values, ethics, punctuality, commitment, and life in general will stay with me for the entire life. Sir & Ma'am taught by practicing instead of preaching and as they say, what you see is easiest to follow :) While everyone used to be shit scared of Sir and just froze whenever he addressed us, with Ma’am, it was completely opposite. Ma’am’s sarcasm spared no one and that included Sir :). Along with them, Maitree di, who is the centre manager, Bimal da and Kunal da who helped in administration, ensured that each of us was treated like family.

Coming back to the trail, as soon as I heard about the fire, I called up TCC. My worst fears were confirmed when I was unable to get through both the numbers. I then called up Maitree di on her cell phone. Thankfully she immediately picked up and sobbingly she told me that they have just managed to save themselves from the inferno. I asked her if everyone was fine and she told me that no one was hurt and they have somehow got out. Even in such a situation, courteous as always, she thanked me for calling her and enquiring about their safety!

Meanwhile, someone in office switched the channels to a Bengali news channel and we saw the horror unfolding before our eyes. I was shaken to the core and just thanked God that none of them were hurt. 2 hours later, I went to Park Street (2 min walking distance from my office) and saw the tragic aftermath. While smoke was still billowing out of the building, there were people frantically waiting for news of their loved ones. Lot of families had their homes in the sprawling Stephen Court which also housed more than 100 offices. A guy waiting on the pavement with his family was crying uncontrollably, while his family members tried to give him the strength and rallied around him. I noticed my dentist’s assistance (he also had a house and his chamber there) and enquired about him. She told me they all also managed to get out from the fire safely.

A little further, I finally spotted Kunal da. He told me their escape story: he noticed some smoke and rushed out to evacuate the others. The others rushed out leaving everything behind, but by the time they stepped out (TCC is on the 3rd floor) onto the landing, they saw the stairs were already on fire, thereby cutting their source of exit. They ran inside and luckily one of the windows that didn’t have any bars, was big enough for them to squeeze out. They squeezed themselves out of the window and then stepped on the space between the 2 AC boxes situated outside the window. They remained in that position for close to 2 hours till someone extended a ladder to them which they used to climb down to safety..

When I returned home, I got to hear more stories – some good like the family owing the popular Barbeque restaurant just across the road. As luck would have it, the entire family was out lunching, coincidentally, at Barbeque at that time and hence got saved. Their house though, suffered quite a bit of damage. But, who cares about material possessions when the entire family managed to avoid this tragedy. Some stories ended tragically like that of a family who managed to save everyone, except the grandmother, who got trapped in a room. Till late evening, there was no news of her.

When I read tomorrow’s newspapers, the stories will definitely sound and read differently. I just pray that no one is trapped and hope that loss to life is minimal.




Left to Right: Kunal da, Sir, Maitree di, Ma'am and the student. Pic courtesy: Sify

1 comment:

Nehal said...

shucks!! very scary... they luckily managed escape... god's grace, i must say