Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Kids Speak

After dilly dallying for a long time, my sis and I finally decided to catch Ishqiya on 14-Feb (ya ya the V-Day). So, to avoid the V-Day rush, even though the show was at 10 am, we got the tickets the day before. But sis woke up with a terrible pain in her ribs (doc later pinned it down to her recurring cough) and so the plan was shelved. My bro and I decided to go to the hall to sell off the tickets (small liberties, as the hall is 5 min away from my place)…As expected, the place was teeming with couples, who wouldn’t have given a damn if Wolfman was being played instead of Ishqiya. I spotted a young couple in the line for the tickets and approached them to sell my 2 tickets. The following conversation unfolded:

Me: Hi, I have 2 extra tickets for Ishqiya. 3rd last row. 80 Rs each. Would you 2 be interested?

Guy: which seats?

Me: C8, C9 (the centre seats, 3rd last row)

Guy: Mmm… let me check if the guy at the counter can exchange the seats. (he checks, turns out the exchange will depend on the empty seats)

Given the morose look he gave me, I asked him to buy his own tickets and started looking around for some other people willing to buy the tickets...

I soon spotted another guy who agreed to buy the 2 tickets... Happy to have sold off the tickets, I was on my way back when my bro (all of 10 years), asks me ‘Why didn’t the 1st guy buy the tickets from us? These were like the best seats..centre of the hall, 3rd last row, plus we weren’t even charging him extra!’.

I tried to diplomatically tell him that maybe the couple was looking for seats in the 2nd or the 1st row. My brother gave me the look which only kids can and then quipped: ‘Aahh now I get it… those people wanted the corner seats so they could watch the movie without any disturbance!’I sheepishly pretended to be completely absorbed in the poster of Karthik-calling-Karthik and moved on…

4 comments:

SRK said...

A good option might have been to continue to kindle his curiosity, without having the intention of revealing the "true" reason...

like "why do you think corner seats have no disturbance? Can't some lizard/spider crawl across?" etc... and when he thinks over that and comes up with a new answer, another "why do you think?" and take him into another line of thought...

This achieves two things:
1. He learns it is ok to question "why?" on anything... which is the best thing you can pass on...
2. Kids come up with such amazing theories that you start having loads of fun...

Silencing leads you nowhere :(

shilpi said...

point taken... just out of curiosity, did i touch a raw nerve somewhere?

SRK said...

well, except with my parents, it was very difficult to ask a "why" for anything in a large part of the family...

you get a "don't ask too many questions! just do what is told!" response. Depressing!

Nehal said...

SK: really don't think yr lil bro is that naive.. i think he is acting naive so that you don't get scandalised!!!!